Thursday, December 9, 2010

ENTHUSIASM

     One of our grandsons, 12 years old, is passionate these days about a skill and hobby called fingerboarding. He uses two fingers to maneuver a minature skateboard up and over minature ramps, stairways, half-pipes and the like. He loves to practice moves that are based on actual skateboarding tricks. He'll spend hours and hours at this craft, making very difficult tricks often, but just as often not quite landing it the way he wants to. So he repeats the move until he nails it. His joy in those moments is infectious.

     He is also very generous with this activity he loves. He put together a little board for me, and is very encouraging as I fumble trying to push it around and over the obstacles. His enthusiasm for this and other things he loves is a great quality of his character and personality.

     Enthusiasm in its Greek root actually means possessed or inspired by God. When we're really passionate or enthusiastic about something, when we're into it, time and worry slip away. We're in this moment, right now. And the word enthusiasm suggests we're close to spirit or the deepest of powers in such moments.

     The takeaway for me is the contrast between my grandson's enthusiasm and my flagging zest for life which goes weak or feels like it has disappeared sometimes. On some mornings, I could be the poster child for the old saw of waking up with "Good God, it's morning!" instead of "Good morning, God!"

     My favorite prayer in the world was written by Dag Hammerskold, the late deeply spiritual diplomat and peacemaker. He wrote:
                                   
                                  ".....for everything that has been, thanks!
                                  For everything that will be, yes!"

I can't always bring the same enthusiasm to that prayer each time I say it as my grandson does to his fingerboarding. But just saying that or something similar at any point in the day can head me in the right direction.

     You'll kindly excuse me right now. I have to go practice landing my ollies.


    
    

1 comment:

  1. Love this blog Dick! When the sound of finger boarding drives me crazy I will think of this and be inspired and not say STOP!

    ReplyDelete