Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Words and Blood

     As I write this, that fleeting thing known as the National Conversation has focused on this question: can angry or demeaning words contribute to violent incidents like the recent killings in Arizona? The killer was apparently deeply ill psychologically. Could the effects of verbal insult, condescending words and mean characterization typifying a lot of political talk nowadays somehow have fuelled this young man's terrible actions? At the very least, I think, they didn't help.

     Words matter. As a long-ago undergraduate English major, I came to love words and deeply respect their power. Experiencing a great actor's use of words that move me to my soul or listening to the lyrics of a song that take me away are just a couple of examples. Some of my biggest regrets in life are about times I tried to be clever or sarcastic and only found that my words misfired or truly hurt someone about whom I cared. "Restraint of pen and tongue," says one twelve step program, is a great mantra for living humanely and moderately.

     The word "sarcasm" has its literal origin in the phrase, "to tear flesh." Sarcasm can be very funny, of course, but also be verbal violence. Imagine yourself on the receiving end of the most clever put-down you've ever spoken. Does it feel respectful? I can abhor your ideas about something, and still see you as a fellow human being, worthy of my respect for no greater reason.
If I see you as a son or daughter of Creator or Life, and keep that thought paramount, it's hard to treat you like an enemy in words or actions. When I erase that thought by some form of verbal abuse, it's not such a long step to someone else treating that life as expendable. Disturbed people, in my experience, are often acutely aware of currents in the culture; and some of them amplify the more negative currents with tragic consequences.

     Words count. Their highest uses in scriptures, poetry, songs and expressions of love and warm regard bespeak a presence, a truth so great that using them for put down or self-righteous judgment just seems shabby as well as potentially volatile. We're better than the way we use words sometimes. Minding that is important.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for this short piece. You have given me much to think about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Tom. I looked at your blog and became a follower of it. I'd be proud to have you do the same.

    ReplyDelete