Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Being Quiet Is Hard

     My last blog was almost two years ago. Lately I've been concentrating on a major writing and rewriting of my historical novel about early Southampton NY ( of that, more soon).But I'm back, still committed to exploring what a fresh approach to spirituality in our life might look like.
     I recently participated in a men's experience in West Virginia where the leaders  recommended a daily practice of silence (they call it "contemplative sit"). Imagine a cold, gray early morning in the Appalachian foothills; 65 men in various stages of sleepiness walk up a path for a quarter of a mile. They then arrive in stages at a rude amphitheatre of cut logs alongside a strong flowing stream. A leader says a few words of encouragement and then signals the start of the closed- eyes, silent meditation. The social support of 65 guys doing this was very encouraging and made doing it easier.
     I've kept the practice up every morning but one of the last ten days, but I won't lie--it's been hard. My "monkey mind" keeps throwing up images and thoughts from the lofty to the very earthy. I'll have moments of letting go and resting in the Father's love ("beloved son" is my return word)  .....but, boy, does my mind want to hijack me. Our prayer leaders at Rolling Ridge assured us this is normal and to be expected and even welcome .......my take on their wise encouragement is that each of us needs to learn to manage the distractions of our nervous minds -- why? To discover the deeper self, our true face within, where the mind rests peaceful and quiet, even if only for a moment -- that can be enough. A mind not agitated, one that is grateful and not fussing over a thousand things.
     I believe and I know that I am a beloved son of God, in my tradition a brother to Christ and each member of His body, both living and gone to glory. Struggling each morning to silently appreciate that is its own reward. I don't have to be "good"at it to reap the benefit. All I need to do is "suit up and show up." And I find some peace, if only for a few moments. That's enough.


   

No comments:

Post a Comment